CINQUE PORTS PHILATELIC SOCIETY
2011 Cinque Ports Philatelic Society Centenary - 25th June 2011.
A Short History.
Miss W. Brandreth Gibbs of Shorncliffe Road was the founder of the Society. She had run the Amigo Stamp Club from 1907, circulating packets of stamps through Folkestone and Hythe. In November 1910, she organised a lantern lecture, "The Romance of the Postage Stamp" at the Woodward Hall on the Bayle. She developed a following and on 30 March 1911, a meeting was held to set up a proper Philatelic Society. The name "The Folkestone Philatelic Society" was already taken, so the new club was to be called "The Cinque Ports Philatelic Society". Mr. Spowart was elected Vice President and Miss Gibbs became the first Hon. Secretary. Annual subscriptions were set at 2/6 (12½p).
Membership dwindled during World War I, but on 6 October 1923 the society was re-formed. Meetings were held on the first Saturday of each month and the membership fee was set at 5/- (25p). A programme was drawn up for the period up to May 1924 by which time membership had reached 28. In the same year the society established what became a long-standing affiliation with the stamp club of the Star and Garter Home for Disabled Sailors, Soldiers and Airmen at Sandgate, and all the Star and Garter collectors were made honorary members of the society.
A high point for the society came in June 1937 when the 24th Philatelic Congress of Great Britain was held in Folkestone at the Grand Hotel. The Society lapsed again during World War II, but in October 1945 it started up again. Most meetings were held at Strickland's Café in Sandgate Rd until 1968. The society hosted the very first rally of the Kent Federation of Philatelic Societies at the Town Hall from 28th July to 2nd August, 1947.
In 1958, the 40th Philatelic Congress of Great Britain was held at the Grand Hotel from 27th to 30th May.
The Society celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1961 and a celebration luncheon was held to coincide with the Kent Federation Autumn Rally at the Queen's Hotel in Sandgate Rd. It was fitting that one of the exhibitors at the rally was founder member Miss Brandreth Gibbs who showed her collection of early Egypt.
Now after 100 years the society continues to thrive, for the last 12 years meetings have been held at St. Martin's Community Centre in Cheriton.
The following article is taken from the 2011 September K.F.P.S. bulletin.